Thursday, May 11, 2017

News from ACOG 2017: Changing gloves before abdominal closure brings down the rate of wound infection by almost 50% in Cesarean Section.


Results of a randomized controlled trial presented at the ACOG 2017 showed that changing the outer gloves before closing the abdomen decreases the wound complication of infection, cellulitis and dehiscence.

Wound infection after a cesarean section (CS) is a major cause of maternal morbidity, lengthy hospital stay and increased medical cost. The rate of surgical site infection after cesarean section range from 3% to 15%.

The nature of the procedure is such that surgeon’s and assistant’s gloves are contaminated by lower genital tract bacteria and seed an otherwise sterile operative field. Previous studies have not shown that a change of gloves decreases the rate of post-operative wound infection.   

The study was led by Dr. Buvana Reddy from Woodbury, Minnesota but the results were presented at the conference by coauthor Jonathan Scrafford, MD from University of Minnesota–Minneapolis.

A review of literature showed that only one small similar study of 92 patients was published in 2004 in Journal of Reproductive Medicine in 2004. The study concluded that “Obstetricians may decrease the number of postcesarean wound infections by having the entire team change surgical gloves after delivery of the placenta.” But, the study lacked power and the timing of change of gloves after the delivery of placenta was not very practical during the course of surgery.

The present study is larger, and focuses on a composite wound outcome score instead of just evaluating the surgical site infection and the timing of change of gloves was at the time of abdominal closure.

This single center study recruited 553 women who had a planned cesarean section at the center across a period of 15 months. Out of this cohort, data is available for a total of 250 patients in the control arm and 236 patients in the study arm who received the glove-changing intervention.

The patients were matched on demographics, total surgical time and the amount of blood loss. After statistical analysis 15 patients in the study arm suffered from wound infection as compared to 34 patients in the control group (P = .008). Statistical significant difference was also observed in wound dehiscence in the two group (5 in glove changing arm vs 14 in the control arm; P = .01)

Pre-operative vaginal preparation with antiseptic solution did not alter the results of the study.

The number need to treat for achieving the benefit of gloves changing was 14 and the added cost per procedure was just $5.



5 comments:

  1. Could you send me fulltext of this trial by email. I found it on sci-hub by DOI but it only have abstract.
    My email: lekhactien93@gmail.com
    Thanks so much!
    Regards
    Dr. Tien K. Le

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wearing safety gloves in Cesarean section has some of the great benefits. The medical health for the patient is much considered if it can be taken into account. Kickboxing Gloves Most of the gloves are available here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for this blog similar website i have also want to read my website so click here nitrile surgical gloves

    ReplyDelete
  4. REAL CURE ON HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS AND HIV some times we just need to give a try to herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead woman by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the office thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, HIV, HPV and many more disease and she gave me his email, so i mail him. Doc. Chukwu madu told me all the things I need to do and send me the herbal medicine through courier delivering service and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after 2 weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished and blister dried off . I went to the hospital for a test and it was negative. Dr.Chukwu madu is real and he is the solution to herpes virus. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via his personal email. dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com (call or whatsapp +2347030936239 according to this great DR he can also cure HIV, ALS,CANCER, COLD SORE, HPV AND DIABETES

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete